Braided Beef Stromboli
This Stromboli is a new twist on a classic Italian favorite, with tastes both spicy and sweet. It is hard to resist a whole meal wrapped up in a neat little pocket. Try it and see!
Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 pound Creekstone Farms Black Angus ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup raisins salt and pepper
- 1 package (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough
- Brown ground beef with cumin in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is not pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Stir in chili sauce, carrots, raisins, salt and pepper, as desired; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender and liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place pizza dough in prepared pan; roll or press dough into 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spoon filling down center of rectangle, leaving 2-1/2-inch border on long sides and 1/4-inch border on short sides. Cut dough at 1-inch intervals along each long side just to edge of filling. Alternating sides, fold dough strips halfway up over filling at an angle, creating braided appearance. Pinch short sides of dough together to seal and enclose filling.
- Bake in 400°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut crosswise into 8 slices to serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Cattlemen’s Beef Association on behalf of The Beef Checkoff