The secret to this recipe is the marinade, but it will be your little secret that it was so easy to make. A fantastic and flavorful marinade is a great way to make a big impression, even if you don’t have a big budget.
Yield: Makes 6-8 servings.
- 3-1/2 pounds Creekstone Farms Black Angus bottom round or lean chuck roast
- 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate,6 oz
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 2 oranges, sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, orange juice, orange peel, onions, salt, pepper, cloves, coriander and cumin. Pour mixture over chuck roast and allow to marinate overnight (at least 6 hours) in the refrigerator. Remove meat from marinade; reserve liquid.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet on high; brown meat on all sides. Transfer meat to the slow cooker/Crock Pot and pour reserved marinade on top. Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove to a warm platter and prepare sauce.
- Turn crockpot to high. Combine cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth; stir into the sauce mixture. Add Madeira and orange slices and continue cooking for 25 minutes. Taste and add salt or other seasonings, as needed. Pour sauce over meat.