Flank Steak Tacos
This flank steak recipe is a great twist on traditional ground beef tacos. Creekstone Farms' very own Chef David Katz created this recipe (including an excellent tomatillo-avocado salsa) for a special event and our employees as well as friends and family continue to mark this as a favorite recipe with tons of flavor!
Flank Steak Tacos
- 1 Creekstone Farms flank steak
- Tomatilla Avocado Salsa
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Queso Fresco (mild white cheese – found in most groceries cheese aisle. Open and crumble cheese by hand.)
Flank Steak Marinade
- 1/2 C. Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Ancho Chili Powder
- 4 t. Ground Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 1/2 C. Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 t. Cayenne Pepper
- 8 Garlic Cloves – peeled and smashed
- 1/2 C. Cilantro Leaves – rough chopped
- 3/4 C. Olive Oil
- 6 medium Tomatillos
- 1 Jalapenos
- ½ large Yellow Onion
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro – stems cut off
- 2 Tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 Avocados – peeled, pitted
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Mix all the above in a mixing bowl. Place the flank steak in the marinade and refrigerate for four hours to overnight.
- Remove steak from the marinade and place on hot grill or grill pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Flip to other saide and cook for another 1 ½ to 3 minutes for a total cooking time of 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Slice meat thinly across the grain.
- Place meat strips on warm taco shell and top with Tomatillo-Avocado salsa and Queso Fresco.
- Peel the leaf off of the tomatillos and rinse them well under cold water. Cut them in quarters and put into a food processor that can hold them with space at the top.
- Peel and rough chop the onion and throw that into the processor as well.
- Take stem off of peppers and split in half and put them in processor as well.
- Put remaining ingredients in the processor and puree everything till well incorporated. Do not over work it, it should be somewhat chunky. Check for seasoning and adjust as needed.