For a great main course with a flavor that bites you back, you can't go wrong with these wasabi steaks! The combination of the cool tart yogurt, the wasabi heat, and a fantastic steak makes for a great taste union. Try this terrific new way to grill up a steak tonight!
Yield: 4 servings.
- 4 Creekstone Farms Black Angus beef eye round steaks, cut ¾ inch think (about 4 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Combine 1/2 cup yogurt, ginger and garlic in small bowl. Place beef steaks and yogurt mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile line a strainer with paper towels; set over small bowl. Place remaining 1 cup yogurt in strainer. Cover; let drain in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as overnight to thicken.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 15 to 19 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile combine thickened yogurt and wasabi paste. Set aside.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with wasabi- yogurt mixture.
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Cattlemen’s Beef Association on behalf of The Beef Checkoff