Ropa Viejas roughly translates to “old clothes” in Spanish, in honor of the colorful strips of peppers that resemble rags. This recipe is as versatile as it is flavorful – serve this latino inspired shredded beef stew over rice, in tortillas or as fajitas.
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- One 2 pound Creekstone Farms beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red or yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- One 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tb tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- White rice or tortillas, to serve
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, until meat is tender.
- Coarsely shred meat with two forks and mix well with juices and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with white rice or warm tortillas.