Tired of spaghetti and meatballs? Mix it up a bit and try serving this satisfying soup.
Yield: Serves 4.
- Basic Beef Meatballs
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley or 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans ( 14-14 ½ ounces each) ready to serve beef broth
- 2 cans ( 14 ½ ounces each) of Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rotini pasta
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil (optional)
- 4 teaspoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare basic beef meatballs, adding parsley with other ingredients. Shape into twenty-eight 1 ¼ inch meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 400 degree oven 13-15 minutes to medium (160 F) doneness; until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic: cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until onion in tender. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in rotini. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8-12 minutes or until pasta is just tender. Stir in meatballs and continue to cook until heated through.
Garnish each serving of soup with basil and cheese, if desired.